Recipe of the Month:
Southwestern Quinoa and Egg Breakfast Bowl
- 1/4 cup raw quinoa
- 1/2 avocado, pitted and diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup no-salt-added, frozen corn (thawed)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup cilantro (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- hot sauce (optional)
- Cook quinoa according to the package directions. Remove from heat and let sit.
- Prepare the remaining ingredients: pitt and dice the avocado half; chop the tomatoes; rinse the corn; chop the scallions; chop the cilantro.
- Divide quinoa between 4 bowls. Arrange the avocado, tomatoes, corn, scallions and cilantro between each bowl.
- Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking oil and warm over medium-high heat. Crack each egg into the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and cook until egg whites are set but yolk is still runny, about 3-4 minutes. Use a spatula to carefully transfer each sunny-side-up egg into each bowl. Garnish with hot sauce and serve.